Monday, September 28, 2009

Arabic


Assalamu Alekum, Keif Halek??

I've been cramming as much arabic lately into my head as I can. I'll soon be leaving for the Middle East and I want to know as much as possible. Arabic is the fifth language I've studied and it is certainly true what they say that the more languages you can speak the easier it gets. For this trip i'm focusing mostly on about 30-40 of the most needed phrases and will memorize a few paragraphs that describe who I am and where I'm from. For some reason I just can't fathom going to a place and not making an effort at the language. You don't have to achieve fluency, but you should at least try to say something. Even if you learn a few phrases, it speaks volumes to people about your interest and intentions in their homeland. It is the best way to say, "I respect your way of life!" It's because you've made a premeditated effort and they know it. With that, "Ma'asalama, Enshufuk alaxher!!" (by the way, the arabic word above means GRACE.)

No comments: