Friday, January 9, 2009

Leadership is Influence not Position

I was looking at some thoughts lately from Maxwell on leadership. They are helpful meditations: Here are a few of them:

Leadership is Influence, nothing more, nothing less.

I've been asked often to take a "leadership" roles in my organization and I always felt a little funny about that. I always felt that leadership is something one either has or has not. It isn't a role, a position, or a job. Rather it's your ability to influence people. There are many out there with titles, but a title doesn't make a man or woman a leader. Maxwell reminds us that in volunteer organizations, Positional leadership doesn't work. In a volunteer organization, influence is leadership regardless of whether that is coming from someone with a title, or someone without it.

1 comment:

Iwan, Julia said...

You are a great leader... serving leader, Mike!