Sunday, March 4, 2007

The gospel according to Anna Nicole


What the spank is wrong with America that we are so engrossed in the tragic life of Anna Nicole? What did this woman give to our culture? Did she write a book I should know about? Did she create a famous work of art? No. So what is it then? We'll I have a theory on this and I would love to hear yours. But its my blog, so I'll tell ya my thoughts on the matter. America is fascinated with Anna Nicole because America finds a sort of sadistic comfort in the whole affair. Sadistic because America is fascinated with death right now. (Note the pleothera of crime scene investigation shows that open with some "joe" dead on the floor. ) But Anna Nicoles pursuit of significance and love is the real locus of the fixation. Here is a woman who was filthy rich. Her net worth was somewhere around 400 million, yet she still couldn't get away from the pain in her life. She turned to drugs, materialism, escapism, and other isms's to find comfort for her wounded soul. Anna Nicole is a metaphor of the psyche of many in America today: we are desperately seeking to be loved and accepted yet frustrated when we discover that money, wealth and power aren't enough. One more time I'm reminded of the words of Jesus who said, "Come to me all you who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest for your souls." Until we do just that, I'm afraid we'll keep repeating the tragedy of Anna Nicole millions of times over in America. What do you think?

3 comments:

Cheryl Boyd said...

I agree with you, Mike. I want to add a little to this, though. There are a lot of rich, tragic souls out there that don't get the press that Anna Nicole has gotten. There are obvious links to Marilyn Monroe. Throughout her career, Anna Nicole kept herself in this tragic American-icon's shadow. Like Marilyn, she was not particularly talented, but America was mesmerized by her. She, too, died tragically early in life - never satisfied, never at peace. Lots of young girls out there can relate to their search for significance and love. Many can even use their looks to gain attention that deceptively claims to satisfy that need. They see the futility of the lives of those who have gone before them, but it does not deter them from following this path. It is slavery. It is powerful.

Anonymous said...

I posted an entry and gave you a pingback.

Anonymous said...

orphansofgod.wordpress.com